The Hamilton Canal Innovation District, a collection of seventeen (17) parcels located in the heart of Lowell, will transform the primary gateway into the City by doubling the size of downtown with a new, urban site that will connect the transportation hub at the Gallagher Terminal and Lowell Connector with the core downtown, the Arts District, and the major event venues. This new development will further strengthen the residential and commercial markets, expand the City’s employment base, and broaden the population base of creative professionals in the City. Finally, led by a talented and well-connected design and development team, the Hamilton Canal Innovation District will incorporate signature architecture and urban design to complement Lowell’s historic built environment.
The Hamilton Canal Innovation District is a rare opportunity to have a significant and lasting impact on the development and evolution of Lowell on a scale paralleled only by the City’s founding and the creation of the Lowell National Historical Park. The impact of the successful redevelopment of the Hamilton Canal District will be felt throughout the downtown, the JAM Area, and City-wide as new residents and businesses change the face of living, shopping, and working in Downtown Lowell and throughout the region due to Lowell’s regional economic significance.
The successful development of the Hamilton Canal Innovation District will continue the success of the Appleton Mills and 110 Canal to solidify Lowell’s tax base, strengthen and diversify its downtown market, and create more employment opportunities. Furthermore, this project will help Lowell meet the overall regional housing demand and the specific demand for urban neighborhood living. To succeed, the City understands that the project must also meet market demands for developers. Therefore, the Hamilton Canal project will:
- Develop an exciting new extension of Downtown Lowell to support new local residents and employees.
- Provide a viable, safe and comfortable pedestrian link from the Gallagher Terminal to Downtown Lowell in combination with the $15 million state-funded improvements to the Lord Overpass.
- Develop a new signature site that draws from the successful loft rehabilitation downtown, while including a variety of housing options with contextually appropriate design.
- Successfully develop a residential component that appeals to consumers seeking an urban experience with access to Downtown Lowell, rail access to Boston or highway access to the Route 3 and Interstate 495 corridors.
- Create a new place that respects the urban character of the City with buildings that meet the sidewalks and active first-floor uses.
- Acknowledge and reflect the historic canals as a significant amenity on the site.
- Continue progress to make the area more liveable by creating an active street presence.
- Support significant pedestrian amenities including public investments in streets, sidewalks, street trees and lighting.
- Develop sites around the canal walk that will make the walkways more inviting and interesting, while also creating origins and destinations along the walkways.
- Provide a significant net increase to tax revenues from these parcels.
- Incorporate planning for energy efficiency and sustainability in the redevelopment of the site, including, where feasible, the use of renewable energy sources and innovative stormwater remediation techniques.